619-445-1550

Xylitol Poisoning

Xylitol Poisoning

gumXylitol is a popular, natural sweetener. However, it is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure and even death!

PeanutButterXylitol has been popular in use of gum and toothpaste, and is being added to more foods, such as peanut butter. Owners who don’t think their dogs will steal a piece of gum certainly won’t think twice about sharing peanut butter with their furry best friend.

A toxic dose of xylitol has been reported between 50 milligrams per pound of body weight. It’s safe to say that NO amount of xylitol is safe for pets.

Xylitol is estimated to be 100 times as toxic as chocolate to dogs.

Toxicity happens 10-60 minutes after ingestion. There is no antidote. There is no reversal. Fast and aggressive emergency medical treatment is essential to potentially reverse toxicity and prevent the development of lethal effects.

Peanut-Butter-Jelly-SandwichCan you prevent poisoning?

Yes! If you personally use products containing xylitol, make sure they are stored safely, out of reach of your pets. Do not share any food that may contain xylitol with your pets. Only use pet toothpaste for pets, never human toothpaste. Be vigilant about checking labels – avoid foods that contain xylitol. The brand name may not be used, so beware of foods that say “sweetened naturally” or “natural sweetener” and even “sugar alcohol”.

10-off-peanut-butter