619-445-1550

Curiosity might not kill the cat, but holiday plants can.

Curiosity might not kill the cat, but holiday plants can.

 

Poinsettia_varietiesWhile we are all being jolly and happy, we have to address the serious concern of holiday foliage in our home.

This is a MUST READ for all pet owners!

Poinsettias are commonly referred to as poisonous for pets. While ingesting them can cause digestive issues, there are far greater dangers.

Other yuletide plants such as holly berries, mistletoe, and rosemary will cause most dogs and cats lip smack, drool, and shake their head excessively, but can also be toxic if ingested. Mild signs of gastrointestinal irritation are seen. If ingested in large amounts, the animal may collapse, be hypotensive, and walk like they are drunk.

Lilies are the #1 flower often used by florists. Just one or two bites from a lily can result in severe acute kidney failure in cats – even the pollen is poisonous! Initial signs of gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting often happen within a few hours. This can decrease within 12 hours, giving the owner false hope the animal is improving. Lack of appetite and depression can follow. Within 3 days after ingestion, acute renal failure develops.

Early treatment is the best medicine. Prognosis may be good if the animal is taken to an emergency vet and treated with dermal decontamination, IV fluid therapy and a replacement electrolyte solution. Once renal failure has developed the prognosis is generally grave.

We need to keep this in mind when lilies are so commonly and innocently brought into our homes. When in doubt, throw them out. Let’s keep those pets safe.

Get Your Pet Ready for Holiday Pictures at the Natural Instincts Pet Spa!

50-percent-off-pet-spa copy